Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 4

 Kasey- We woke in Arnhem at Zr. Lambooij's around 9:30 and got read to leave. I made breakfast with Zr. Lambooij and some lunch that we ended up forgetting. :( For breakfast we had bread and cheese which is a pretty good traditional Dutch breakfast. So we said good-bye to Zr. Lambooij and her dog, Lijke. We drove through Oosterbeek which is a beautiful little hilly town that has some WWII history. Arnhem is the only city I served in where we actually had some hills. All my other cities were flat as can be. We drove through Daventer and then through the countryside up to the Drenthe Province. We drove around Assen which was my greenie city. I haven't been back to Assen since I was a greenie and I was only there 6 weeks so I didn't remember it too well. We went to my apartment, took a picture, and I showed Emmy this little area next to my apartment that has farm animals. I remember the roosters always crowing in the morning. There were some sheep that started charging up to us, good thing there was a fence. I think they were hungry because they came pretty close to us and pretty fast.




We drove to Friesland through the countryside and went to Leeuwarden. I knew Emmy wouldn't like Leeuwarden as much as my other cities because it has a big city feel, even though it isn't that big. I was really excited to go back there because Friesland meant a lot to me. In the MTC, one of my teachers was telling me about Friesland because he served there. I remember feeling that I was going to serve there. I was in Friesland for about 10 months between 2 cities--Leeuwarden and Heerenveen. The language, Fries, is spoken in a lot of homes, especially out in the country. It's interesting because there is a Friesland in Germany and Denmark as well. Anyway, so after parking we bought a lot of chocolate and walked to the Centrum where we did some tie-shopping. I found a few at the Wibra store. We also bought a cheap watch for Emmy. I forgot to bring the watch I bought from back home for this trip. We also found a store named after Emmy.



We walked to the Church and the train station. In each of the cities I served in I wanted to see the Church, the station, and my apartment because we spent a lot of time at each of those places. So we went to those places, then walked down a canal, and then back to the Centrum where we ate at a Greek restaurant. Groupon is pretty big in Europe so I bought some Groupons that we used over there. It works a little differently, though. They don't let you order from the normal menu usually which kind of bothered me. Our meal at the Greek restaurant was amazing. It was all you can eat so we tried lots of different foods - different yogurt concoctions, salads, lamb, green olives dishes -- lots of good things to try. They put a glass of liquid in front of us. We weren't sure what it was. Emmy tried it out and she had no idea what it was so we joked that Emmy tried wine and that she got a little tipsy from it.



After stuffing ourselves full we walked to my apartment and then to the car. We went and visited an older investigator, Roseanne, and then somebody I found who got baptized later on, Roland. We were actually having a hard time finding his place and then some kids asked if we needed help and they took us to Roland's place. It was pretty late so we just visited a little but it was really good to see Roland and his family. There are some people from my mission I think about a lot and Roland is one of them. He speaks great English which is another reason I wanted Emmy to meet him, because she could actually talk with him.




 After that we drove to Faria's in Burgum, a small town outside of Leeuwarden, and visited for a little bit with him and then went to sleep. Faria is an old investigator we taught, and he is from Angola but speaks really good English and Dutch. It was a very fun and beautiful day.
























No comments:

Post a Comment