Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 3

March 26th

Emmy- We had breakfast with Bro. Stewart. We had some toast with sliced cheese on it. It was really good. We said goodbye and then went and drove by Kasey’s apartment from when he was a missionary. Then we visited the church and the station. I really enjoyed seeing all the flowers along the roads. Lots of random art! (Like a huge bowling ball statue). We also passed by a random Michael Jackson statue at a McDonalds.







We went to Vucht, the concentration camp that Corrie ten Boom stayed at briefly. It was closed but we just kind of walked around it a little bit. EVERYTHING is closed on Mondays. Haha, so funny! We then went to Den Bosch. Very pretty city!



We had a really hard time finding a bathroom! Finally went to McDonalds. Yay for free bathrooms! We went to inside a cathedral. It had 25 angels on top, and when they were updating it they added a new one with jeans and a cell phone with only one dial – God. We then went in a mall complex and got some strawberry vla. Loved it so much!



We walked around for a little bit longer and then on our way back got a Doner Kebab, a Turkish pizza, and a Bosche bol (which is like an éclair, only better- it’s round, cream filled with a chocolate covering). I definitely liked the Bosche bol. Off and on we’d snack on the vla, just drinking it straight from the carton.





We drove through Nijmegen to Arnhem where I served- we first went to the Church and then stopped by Fam. Veldt, a family I taught. It was a good visit, I’m definitely glad we stopped by. I didn’t think they would remember me because I was only there for 6 weeks. But yeah, they remembered me and welcomed us in. Bo, the mom, has been battling cancer for the past 5 years. She did chemotherapy a year ago and decided to pull the plug because of how much pain she’s in and it just isn’t getting better. It was a very difficult decision for her. They had a visit from a priest the day before who told her she was going to hell. She asked me what I thought and what our church believes. I told her that it’s impossible to judge and that it was really something between her and God. I read some scriptures with her and bore my testimony. It was neat being with them. She pulled the plug April 5th so we came just in time to say goodbye. After seeing the Veldts we stopped by old apartment and then stopped by Willy, someone I taught and got baptized later. His health isn’t doing well but he’s doing great going to Church, serving in his calling as YM advisor.



After, we went to Zuster Lambooij’s where we stayed the night. I baptized her a few days before coming home from my mission. She made us Surinaams food which I really like. It has an interesting spice that I’ve only had with Surinaams food. We Skyped with my parents- it was a relief to see Jimmer and to hear that he was doing great. It was also fun that Jimmer recognized us with a little smirk on his face. After visiting with Zr. Lambooij and doing the dishes we went upstairs to the attic, read some and crashed.

1 comment: